Grantsville Junior High School

Skip to main content
Main Menu Toggle
Counseling Center » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Who will be my student's counselor? 


     Tony Cloward  


How do counselors help students at Grantsville Jr. High? 

  • Counselors are trained listeners and problem solvers.  They have observed many students negotiate the challenges of growing up and of junior high school.   
  • Counselors provide assistance to students towards a Plan for College and Career Readiness. Counselors invite students, parents/guardians to participate in these conferences to discuss, high school planning, post-secondary educational planning, and social/emotional adjustments needed in junior high school. 


How do I or my student make an appointment with the counselor? 

  • Parents are encouraged to make an appointment to avoid waiting for service.  An appointment can be made at 435-884-4510 with Mrs. Walters.  
  • The counseling office is open from 7:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. on most days.   
  • Students are encouraged to come and see their counselor before or after school or during their lunchtime.  
  • During the school day, students will need a hall pass (permission from their teacher) to come and see the counselor. 


What is the purpose of a CCR conference? 

  • College and Career Ready conferences provide students, parents, and counselors an opportunity to discuss the student's goals for future success. 
  • Individual and small group conferences are held to identify strengths and celebrate the student. 
  • Academic assessments, career interest inventories, high school graduation requirements, and college entrance requirements are often discussed in these important conferences. 


How can I get help in an academic subject? 

  • The first thing you should always do is talk to the teacher either before or after school. They can also be reached by email. If you are confused about the subject matter, try to have some specific questions in mind.  Many teachers often provide help directly to students before and after school.  
  • The counseling office has ideas on study techniques, planners, and organizational skills as well as information about after school tutoring. 


As a student, what can I do to be successful in school? 

  • Attend class every day.  If you are ill, make sure to see the teacher to find out what you missed as soon as you return to school.       
  • Use your planner to keep track of assignments and due dates.  Have a study plan at home with the following guidelines: 
  • Find a quiet place where you won't be disturbed by phones, family activities, TV, or other distractions. 
  • Plan on studying at least an hour each night.  Remember to not only do the written homework, but also complete reading assignments. 
  • Review notes from lectures in your classes. 
  • Take care of your health by getting enough sleep, participating in physical activity, eating good foods, and staying connected to friends, your parents, and school staff.  Be sure to communicate any physical, mental, or emotional health concerns with a trusted adult. 
  • Take care of your personal hygiene by showering, wearing deodorant, and clean clothing each day. 


What is the class change policy? 

  • When registering for classes, students need to carefully select the classes they are interested in taking.  Occasionally there are errors in a student's schedule that necessitates a class change. 
  • Students interested in making a class change should obtain a schedule change request form in the counseling office.  Students need a parent signature denoting approval of the change. 
  • Counselors and administration determine appropriateness of class change referring to reason, class size, and schedule disruption.  Priority goes to credit first, then required classes. 
  • Students will be informed as to whether or not the class change was approved or denied. 
  • If the request if for a Core (history, language arts, math, science, homeroom) Class change, parents must schedule a meeting with the principal, counselor and their student's Core Class teachers to discuss the student's needs, classroom behaviors, academic performance and appropriate recommendations for success. 


How can I track my student's academic progress? 


Parents and students can access academic and attendance records via the internet at the Tooele School District's website:  A student number and password are needed in order to allow you access into the Aspire (SIS) Student/Parent area. If you have misplaced or did not receive that information, please call the counseling office at (435) 884-4510.  Accessing your student's grades and attendance on a daily or weekly basis is an excellent way to track their progress. Contact Mrs. Caldwell for more information on attendance daily or weekly trackers and progress.  


What are the requirements to complete junior high? 


7TH GRADE REQUIREMENTS                                        

  • Language Arts (1.5) 
  • Math (2.0) 
  • Integrated Science (1.5) 
  • College and Career Awareness (1.5) 
  • Utah Studies (.5)  
  • Physical Education (.5) 
  • Keyboarding (.5) 
  • Elective (2.0) 
  • TOTAL = 10 credits 



  • Language Arts (1.5) 
  • Math (2.0) 
  • Integrated Science (1.5) 
  • U.S. History (1.0) 
  • Personal Health (.5) 
  • Digital Literacy (.5) 
  • Intermediate Fitness/Team Sports (.5) 
  • Elective (2.5) 
  • TOTAL = 10.0 credits